If you are an avid Underwater Videographer you know you’ll need a bright underwater Video light to get the most out of your footage.
In this guide we’ll explain what you need to take care of and important factors before buying your underwater video light.
Why do you need an underwater video light?
As you go deeper Water becomes darker due to less sunlight reaching the lower depth as light gets reflected by particles.
You are also loosing colors the deeper you go. That has to do with the wave length of the different spectral colors. Red disappears first and blue is last to disappear…now you also know why water is blue! or isn’t it? 😉
Spectral colors with long wavelength such as red are absorbed much faster. One third of the red color is absorbed after just 1m of depth.
So for underwater videographer it’s important to have a proper underwater video light to get all colors back artificially.
You can use certain filters but you can not replace a proper underwater video light.
With light its as with most other products as well, the higher the price the better the components built in. Especially in torches or underwater video lights manufactures often lie about lumen and how bright the light is.
What is Lumen
The lumen (Latin for light, lamp) is the SI unit of luminous flux. So it indicates how much light a lamp emits per unit of time.
To determine the lumen you will need in a Scuba Diving torch is kind of easy; the more the better. However the lumen information on a description of a flashlight is important, but manufacturers often use them as a marketing tool and exaggerate this number.
So sometimes it is better to rather look for built quality and materials used and researching other pages to determine different lumen information of the torch you are looking to buy.
Depending if you need a torch for illuminating a video which needs a wider flood angle or just for illuminating crevices, holes and caves which will need a a smaller angle of beam light. Average beam angle range between 12 to 75 degrees. For underwater video lights it is most important to have a very wide angle of light beam everything above 100° degree is suitable. this is to duplicate the suns light.
Imagine you have a small beam torch you would only illuminate a small part of your object.
What is Lux? Beam range
The lumen should not be confused with the lux. Lux is the unit of illuminance that indicates how much light per unit of time per unit of area.
As far as the torch distance range is concerned, the LUX number is a decisive value. This determines the luminosity for a specified distance.
If the Torch has a low LUX value and at the same time has a high number of lumen, this means that the torch emits light more broadly, i. H. has a strong scattering effect (flooder torch). These kind of scuba diving torches are particularly suitable for underwater Video lightning.
If the torch has a high LUX value with a high number of lumen at the same time, then one speaks of so-called thrower torches. These are characterized by the fact that they bundle the light beam very strongly and thus achieve a high distance beam range. They are particularly suitable for recognizing details over long distances and are better for scuba diving if you want to illuminate the small spaces, crevices and caves.
What type of LED is used in torches?
Virtually all scuba diving torches made today use an XM-L LED. This LED produces a full-flood beam, with less throw than the XP-G. Total lumen output for the original XM-L peaked at near 700. Differences in the T6 and U2 flux bins include higher brightness. All LED scuba diving torches with a light output of over 2000 lumen fall into the category of comparing it with daylight.
The light beam is always generated with several high-performance LEDs such as CREE XP-L V6, CREE XM-L2 or CREE XHP70.
An average 100 lumen torch is able to provide around 5 -10 hours runtime using 2x AA battery. This amount of lumen is technically enough for urban and suburban use but probably not for scuba diving. In Scuba Diving you’ll need at least 700+ Lumen to get anything out of your purchase.
You should have a look at the actual working time of a scuba diving torch. The maximum working time is always given for the lowest set light intensity.
This also depends on the Type of Battery the maximum charge capacity of the battery as well as the number of LEDs and the LED type.
Do LED underwater video lights get hot? 🔥
The underwater video lights produce heat when on, and the heat comes from the associated core of the LED bulb. The greater the power consumption of the LED light and or the more LED’s, the more heat appears. Most of them have an overheating switch built in but underwater due to the good heat dissipation of water the torches usually never overheat. Depending on the power of your LED’s this might be a different story if you turn them on and use it as a normal torch on land.
Material and fabrication
Look for Marine grade Aluminum in underwater video lights, it not only last longer than plastic but it also dissipates the heat much better which also extends the life of the LED bulb as it doesn’t become to hot.
Size and usability
In Scuba Diving it’s always important not to have to big appliances. However an underwater video light with good Batteries and a few good LED’s should fit in your BCD Pocket to store it away if not needed and not dangling around. The flashlight should be easy and intuitive to use.
Batteries and rechargeable batteries
Under no circumstances should batteries with too low or too high voltage or amperage be used, otherwise the LED’s could be damaged and also not being able to use up their maximum illumination capacity.
Many different Batteries are used in scuba diving torches. Make sure you not only have the correct Battery but also the correct charger for your rechargeable Batteries.
Rechargeable Batteries are the “better” environmentally friendlier Batteries due to less toxic rubbish.
Care and cleaning
After diving in salt water, fresh water or in a swimming pool, you should always rinse your underwater video lights with fresh water and then let it dry. You should also press the buttons while washing so that the remaining salt water or dirt is rinsed out. To store the torch take out the Batteries if possible to avoid leaking or low discharge.
Despite great care in our research, we cannot accept any liability for the information. Technical specifications are specifications by manufacturer.
Here are our recommendations for underwater video lights
SecurityIng underwater Video Light
- Three Lighting Modes & Wide Angle Beam
- Features Neutral White, UV and Red light creating a great light for viewing all types of sea life.
- 15 White LED provide powerful beam, 6 Red led are suitable for creative photography, 6x UV led can create amazing fluorescence of marine organisms;
- 120 degrees wide beam angle, suitable for underwater videography and supplementary lighting
- Power Source This diving flashlight is powered by 4 x 18650 button top batteries (Batteries are not included). Please note that the flat head 18650 battery is not compatible with this flashlight
- Ball Joint & Convenient Handle come with a ball joint for easy mounting to any-camera system. Designed with a tough handle for easy carry, also convenient for other outdoor activities like camping, fishing, hiking, caving, exploring，night fishing，seeking survival，etc
- 6 Modes & 2 Switch White light switch mode (the left power key): High / Middle / Low / OFF (Long press the button for 2 seconds at any mode)；Red and UV light switch Mode (the right power key): Red / Red Strobe / UV / OFF (Long press the button for 2 seconds at any mode)
- Multi-protection Function & Durable Reverse polarity protection is to prevent from installing battery wrong
- Over-heat protection function, preventing high temperature；
- Aluminum alloy material to improve corrosion resistance, oxidation resistance, non-slip wear resistance
Big Blue VL4000P Underwater Video Light
- Package Includes:1 x VL4000P Video Light,1 x Ball Mount, 1 x BATCELL32650 Li ion Rechargeable battery and Charger,1 x Lanyard,1 x Yellow Filter
- Our best selling video light from 2015 has been upgraded to 4000 lumen and it keeps its affordability with high performance features. This light is still a great choice for any diver taking video whether it be Go Pro or a higher light performance required
- The VL4000P is a self-contained, compact yet powerful, all-purpose dive light – but is best suited for video purposes with a 120 Deg beam angle.
SecurityIng Wide 120 Degrees Beam Angle underwater Video light
- 120 degrees wide beam angle, suitable for underwater photography and supplementary lighting. The side magnetic button switch is easy to operate on / off and change modes
- Utilize 2 x Cree XM-L2(U4) white light and 2 x XP-E R5 red LED, creating a great light for viewing all types of sea life.
- 4 Modes: High / Mid / Low / Red Beam. Max 1500 lumens output. With two standard screw, support all kinds of cameras.
- This diving flashlight is powered by 1 x 18650 or 26650 lithium battery with max 15 hours run time. 18650 battery and charger are included.
- AL T606-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum and premium type military III hard anodized finish for abrasion, corrosion and scratch resistant
TrustFire DF50 Underwater Video Light
- SUPER BRIGHT AND COMPACT: Max 6500 Lumens. 6*XM2 U3 lamp beads, white light (flooding) color temperature 6000K, up to 150 degrees flooding can provide 6500 lumens of underwater lighting. Non-slip body design. TrustFire DF50 is a diving flashlight specially designed for scuba diving, cave diving, free diving and other underwater sports lighting.
- 3 TYPES OF LED: 6 *XM2 U3 LED – 6000K White light (flood light) 6500 Lumens. 3 *XE-3535 RED LED – the red LED with a wavelength of 620nm provides pure and efficient red light and is suitable for underwater photography, creative photography and red light-sensitive fish light. 3*XPE UV LED – the UV LED with a wavelength of 395nm and pure UV light is suitable for underwater photography of fish and corals with fluorescent substances to brighten the light.
- 21700 RECHARGEABLE BATTERY PACK: Using 3pcs 21700 3.7V 5000mAh customized rechargeable battery pack which is more reliable. It can be charged directly with a cable. All you need is a power supply and you will never run out.
- 70 METERS WATER RESISTANCE: In the diving protection system, the max depth of the 70M diving pressure allows you to use it safely in the underwater environment, the four-level battery indicator can easily let you know the remaining usage time.
- WHAT TO GET: 1 x TrustFire DF50 KIT Diving flashlight with BOX, 1 x Trustfire-ARB5000U battery pack (3 x 21700 5000mAh), 1 x Type-C USB charger cable, 1 x ball joint, 1 x diving gear, 2 x replacement O rings, 1 x Operating instructions
Light and Motion SOLA Video Pro 15000 FC underwater video light
- Designed for professional underwater photo/video featuring ultra-powerful regulated output and dome port for wide-angle work.
- 15000 lumen flood output certified to the FL-1 Standard; 110° flood beam (measured underwater) with dome port designed for wide-angle photo/video
- Regulated output ensures light does not dim in use; custom firmware keeps lumens consistent
- Factory-sealed design with external charge ports for flood-free reliability; depth rated to 100m (330ft)
- Manufactured in California and backed by Light & Motion’s 2-year Enhanced Experience Guarantee
SeaLife Sea Dragon 4500 Auto underwater video light
- AUTO BRIGHTNESS – Brightness can be adjusted manually or automatically with its built-in photocell light sensor, the Auto mode automatically adjusts from 450 to 4500 lumens to preserve your eye’s natural night vision while extending battery life
- POWERFUL LED LIGHT – 4500 lumen LED light with color enhancing COB LED array technology, 96 (+/-1) CRI (color rendering index) that mimics natural sunlight, 120 deg. wide beam angle evenly illuminates the subject with no hot spots
- AUTO FLASH – When a nearby flash fires, the light detects the strobe and will turn off for 1 second for optimal image exposure control, the Auto Flash detect mode features can easily be turned off any time underwater
- CONSTRUCTION – Anodized machined aluminum, corrosion-proof alloy light head for heat dispersion and durability, removable 50W Li-Ion battery w/ charger and international plug adapters included
- FEATURES – One button control for easy operation, five brightness modes, hidden emergency signal mode, 4-hour burn time, quick-release button, easy to expand with YS or Flex-Connect mounting system, depth tested to 330ft (100m)
Bigblue CB15000P underwater video light
- Warm White – 5000K Color Temperature
- 15000 Lumens
- 160° Beam Angle
- Comes with a protective carrying case
- Powered by a rechargeable li-ion 18650×7 battery (charger included).
- 15,000 Lumens at 5000K color temperature
- Four power settings to reduce intensity and increase battery life
- Anodized aluminum housing means rugged dependability
- Color-coded battery indicator
- 100M depth rating
Additional Equipment for underwater video lights
eMart UV Ultra Violet
- 10W 395-400nm UV Light, Waterproof for 100m Underwater, Great for Diving
- Come with Magnetic Control Switch, The Light Brightness Could Be Adjusted Smoothly
- Come with 2 x 18650 Battery, Easy for Charging Slip-Resistant, Portable, Stable Light
- Durable Aerial Aluminum Alloy Casing, Long Service Life UP To 100,000 hours
- Coiled Lanyard Expands to 36″ (91.4 cm)
- Corrosion Resistant Spring
- Loaded Gate Clip Gate Clip has 360 Degree Swivel
- Lanyard and Split Ring
- Attachment Split Ring: corrosion Resistant Stainless Steel
Universal Smart Battery Charger
- 1. Safety First: S4 4 Slot plug in Recharger Compliant Standard–UL cUL TUV GS PSE FCC CE C-TICKCB ROHS,and with Intelligent Circuits, Fire Retardant Materials. Please confirm your battery is genuine / not damaged / quality / Rechargeable before charging.
- 2. 4bay Universal Charger Charges Simultaneously almost all types Rechargeable Batteries of Multiple Different Specifications: NiMH Ni-Cad Double A Triple A AA AAA AAAA C SC Nicd, Lithium-ion Li-FePO4 IMR INR ICR 26700 26650 26500 25500 22650 18700 18650 18490 18500 18350 17670 17650 17500 17355 16650 16340 RCR123A 14650 14500 14430 10440 18659 20650 18560 Liion Protected Rcr123 Quad 3.2 Volt Battery etc.
- 3. 4cell Speedy Charger Compatible with: Button Top Eneloop 2000mAh AA 2 Hour, Compatible with Amazonbasics 800mAh AAA 0.8-Hour at 1 amp rapid Current, Compatible with Flat Top 3.7V 3400mAh Lithium ion Panasonic NCR18650B 3.5-Hour, Compatible with 3.6V 2500mAh Li ion High Drain LG HE2 2.5-Hour @ 1A quick Charge Current.
- 4. Four Pack Cells Digital LCD Display Smart Charger: Automatically Detect battery Status, Select Charge Mode, Cut Off at Full Power or Overtime, and LCD Screen Displays Each Cell’s Voltage and Type, Charging Current and Time Independently. 2 Charge Current (500mA Slow/ 1000mA Fast) and 3.2V LiFePO4 Options to be Chosed Manually.
- 5. What you get: EASTSHINE S4 Universal 4 Slots updated 2020 Household Battery Chargers, DC 12V – 24V Auto Vehicles / AC 100V – 240V US Wall Adapter, User Manual, Happy Card with 24 Hours Warm Service, 30 Days Free Refund, 2 Years Free Replacement, Lifetime Maintenance. Do not charge a damaged / inferior battery.
Additional Equipment for underwater video lights and night dives
SecurityIng Strobe Light Scuba Night Dive Marker
- Signal Light for Location – It is ideal for keeping tabs on the location of your partners during a night dive, or when exploring dark areas of the underwater world during daytime. Great for hanging on diving tanks or BCD for easy and clear location and identification during dives.
- Rotary Switch & Multi-purpose – Featuring a twist on/off switch at head, very easy to operate. Tighten the head to turn on the light, unscrew the head to turn off. This lighting device is a firefly beacon led signal light for safe diving. Can also be used for jogging, camping, fishing, kayaking, raving, group outing at night, team tag, walking with family.
- 5 Colors Are Available – Red, white, blue, green and yellow light led are available. You can use different colors to identify buddy teams quickly and easily. Please note: Each led light with one color only
- Compact Design & Great Waterproof Performance – Size: 0.87in diameter x 2.32in, net weight is only 16g.The signal light’s appearance is inspired by torpedo, it’s a cute dive signal light. With quality waterproof O-ring, can be used underwater 200m. Include a string for easy attach to dive equipment
- Long Runtime & Battery Included – Powered by 3 x LR44 batteries which provide a long burn time of approximately 200 hrs. Come with 4 battery pack(12 x LR44 batteries), when the battery drained, you can easily and quickly replace the batteries and start the signal light up again.
316 Stainless Steel Double Ended Bolt Snap Hook 4-1/2”
- Advantage: Our Superior Quality & Extra-Secure double ended bolt snap hooks are made of “MARINE GRADE 316 Stainless Steel”, corrosion resistant and very durable, can definitely be used in seawater environments.
- Wide Range of Uses : Designed for use with rope, chain, straps, animal leashes and other home, farm and recreational applications. Can be used for a gate latch, a bucket hanger, hanging feed tubs, hay bags in the stall and many other various uses. Clips with any standard D-Rings. Perfect for connecting your diving accessories to your BCD.
- Practical Features: Double-ended design makes bolt snaps more versatile. Spring-loaded bolts provide secure closure & easy-open thumb lever.
- Fair Use Is Important: Don’t overload for your safety, working load limit 244 Lbs(110 kg.)
- What You Get: 2-pack [4-1/2 Inch Double Ended Bolt Snap Hooks], our worry-free 12-month warranty and friendly customer service.
Trident LED Light Stick Dive Light
- High Intensity LED Light with Long Burn Time & Bulb Life
- Maximum Depth: 330 feet (100 meters)
- Comes with 3 Batteries LR47
- LED Type: Japan Nichia LED
- Approximate Lamp Life: 50,000 Hours
This was our Equipment and buying guide and the list of the Best underwater video lights on the market in 2021! I hope you enjoyed it and if you did so and don’t want to miss any of our next Equipment guides sign up for the Newsletter here.
You might also be interested in
Interested to join us as a Marine Life Conservation Volunteer?
Check it out here