Women wetsuits, buying one is not as easy as it sounds, thickness, long, short, semidry? To support you in your decision we made this guide.
What is a women wetsuit?
A women wetsuit is made of neoprene. In technical fields, neoprene is known as chloroprene rubber or polychloroprene. At the molecular level, the material consists mainly of chlorine and hydrogen atoms. Production begins with a chemical reaction between chloroprene and other solutions.
The result of this reaction is flakes. These flakes can be further processed. In order to transform the solid synthetic rubber flakes into elastic rubber, it needs vulcanization. After the vulcanization the molecules can no longer move, the end result is elastic and will always spring back to its original shape.
In order to be able to sell neoprene as a fabric, the right and left side of a neoprene sheet are covered with fabrics, these can also be printed with colors or patterns.
Difference between men and women wetsuit
In many Scuba Diving Equipment Parts there is no difference between Men and Women however there is a big one in Neoprene Wetsuit cuts. Women feel usually much faster cold than men so it’s a better Idea to buy a thicker wetsuit if you are a frosty.
Women wetsuit cut
The cut of a women wetsuit differs from that of men. Women wetsuits are cut tighter at the shoulders and narrower at the waist and fuller at the hips. The chest area is also further shaped in the style of women wetsuit.
Color and Style
For many women, the color and style of a women wetsuit also plays a major role.
Sensation of cold
“It’s not a myth that women feel the cold faster than men. And this even though the heat transport works basically the same for men and women, namely via the blood. If the outside temperature drops, the blood vessels in the arms and legs constrict in order to better supply the core of the body with its vital organs with blood and thereby protect it. However, the temperature range at which this phenomenon takes effect is different: in women it is already from around 15 degrees Celsius, in men at lower temperatures.
The higher muscle percentage in men is also essential for the different perception of cold by men and women, because muscles produce heat that is distributed throughout the body. In men, it makes up about 40 percent of the body, in women, however, only about 25 percent. Men therefore carry around a small stove, so to speak, that warms them internally.
The different skin thicknesses in men and women also make women shiver more quickly, because thick skin prevents additional heat radiation in men. Women are literally thinner and give off more heat.
Check out the top 10 wetsuits for men. You don’t want to miss any of my diving equipment guides? Then subscribe to our free newsletter!
Insulation ability of neoprene wetsuit
First of all, we have to know that water dissipates body heat 25 times faster than air, so you cannot survive forever even in water at 25° C and the colder the water, the faster you lose your body heat.
|Water temperature||Time to exhaustion|
|Theoretically possible survival time|
|0,3 °C||< 15 min||up to 45 min|
|4,5 °C||30 min||up to 90 min|
|10 °C||1 h||3 h|
|15 °C||2 h||6 h|
|21 °C||7 h||40 h|
|26 °C||12 h||> 40 h|
Neoprene has excellent insulation properties that is due to the fact that a lot of air is trapped in the neoprene, which, as we know, has very good insulation.
Thickness of a women wetsuit
The thicker the neoprene fabric, the better the insulation from the cold water.
Mostly for very cold water with 12° C and colder or for ice diving and long dives in them, you’d use a dry suit.
Long women wetsuits in 3-5mm thickness are usually used for waters with a water temperature of more than 18° C.
Shorties are women wetsuits with short arms and half-length legs, these are mostly 3mm thick and they are used for water temperatures from 25° C upwards.
Buoyancy and thickness of women wetsuits
The neoprene thickness of the suit affects the buoyancy control, as thicker material creates more static buoyancy. This buoyancy has to be compensated with lead weights. To make matters worse, the neoprene itself is compressed by the water pressure increasing with depth, so that the buoyancy decreases with increasing ambient pressure – i.e. increasing water depth. Since the weight of the lead remains constant, the downforce increases with increasing depth, which has to be compensated for by a buoyancy compensator (BCD).
How does a women wetsuit work?
Many believe that you don’t get wet in a neoprene wetsuit. This is only true in a dry suit.
In all other diving suits you get wet. The water that has entered the wetsuit remains in the suit for a while because the ends of a neoprene wetsuit are provided with cuffs and the thin layer of water is thus heated up by the body heat.
That is why it is so important to have a neoprene wetsuit that is skin-tight because the less water penetrates, the less the body has to heat the water entered up and the longer you stay warm. Depending on the suit and your movements, this water layer is exchanged faster or slower (water circulation).
Types of women wetsuits
Is the simplest version of the women wetsuit. As the word shorty suggests, they have short arms and legs and are only effective in protecting the core temperature of the body.
This can be worn in tropical areas with water temperatures of 25° C and more. Mostly in the common thicknesses of 1.5-3mm available and also obviously the cheapest version of all of them.
Is a Neoprene wetsuit with long arms and legs where cuffs are sewn on so that the water stays in the suit longer and is not exchanged as quickly. Usually comes in thicknesses between 3-7mm
Semi-Dry women Wetsuit
These suits don’t just get you “half-wet”. These neoprene wetsuits have smooth neoprene sealing lips on the arms, legs and neck. With the higher quality semi-dry neoprene wetsuits, the zipper is also underlaid with a cuff or sealing lip. Which causes the water to run into the suit but stays in the wetsuite much longer Water Circulation is relatively slow depending on e.g. Movement while scuba diving or getting in and out of the water. This makes the suit very comfortable for colder waters for long or several dives per day. Most semi-dry wetsuits come in thicknesses between 5-7mm.
There are several types of drysuits and the topic is very large as buoyancy control is not only done with the BCD but also has to be done with the suit itself. I’m not going to go into this type of suit too much, though.
Even if you have successfully completed a diving course and buy a dry suit, you should try it out in the swimming pool or in shallow water or even better take a course. Most international diving organizations offer dry suit diving courses. Because there are certain things with this suit that you have to pay attention to and practice in order not to get yourself in danger underwater!
Some will still remember: When James Bond in “Goldfinger” takes off his wetsuit (dry suit) and wears a tuxedo underneath, that is completely dry and yes it would work.
Dry suits are designed for diving in very cold water, for commercial underwater work, and for sewage diving.
The dry suit, is a one-piece suit made of water- and gas-tight material. Today these are made from trilaminate membranes of synthetic plastics or neoprene.
The advantage of the dry suit is that the diver hardly ever comes into contact with water and, when properly filled with an insulating gas, like air it is better protected from the cold than in any other diving suits. The dry suit is usually sealed with a cuff at the neck and wrist and the boots are permantly attached. It has a water and gas-tight zipper on the back or chest for getting in and out. In addition, textile protective clothing against the cold is worn under the suit.
The main zipper on a women wetsuit can be on the back as well as on the front, vertical, horizontal or diagonal. For the shorties and wetsuits, these are normal coarse zippers mostly made of plastic because they don’t rust. In the case of a dry suit, this must be zipper which is gas and waterproof so that no water penetrates. The semi-dry women wetsuits have both wet and dry zipper versions.
All zippers on the women wetsuits are underlaid with a smooth neoprene sealing lip as this is more comfortable and the pure zipper does not cause irritation of the skin.
Thicker long wet and semi dry neoprene wetsuits with zippers on the arms and legs make it easier to get into the suit.
Hot Insider tip:
If the neoprene wetsuit has no zippers and it is very difficult for you to put the suit on, you can put a plastic bag over your hand and foot before getting into the suit. The neoprene slides much better then. The alternative is to mix a little dish washing liquid and water and spray it on the arm or leg.
Protection against injury and nettles
Women wetsuits are not only worn to protect against cooling down of the body temperature, but also to protect against injuries such as jellyfish and their nettles.
Or if you accidentally roam along a rock face. Shipwrecks are also a good example with their sharp edges.
One piece or two piece
A one-piece is a neoprene diving suit that consists of one part. Here different thicknesses of neoprene can be sewn together so that the one-piece is, for example, a 3mm thick wetsuit on the arms and legs and a 5mm thick neoprene wetsuit on the core of the body.
A two-piece is two separate pieces of clothing, a high-cut or bib shorts (called “Long John”) and a long-sleeved jacket, usually with an attached hood, so you have a thick double suit at the core of your body.
Some two-piece neoprene wetsuits only consist of pants and a vest, but they are also much less warm.
One-piece suits sometimes come with a separate ice vest to be able to dive with this suit in very cold waters.
This ice vest is worn over the normal suit.
But you can also buy them individually.
Care and cleaning
After a dive in salt water, fresh water or swimming pool, you should always rinse the neoprene suits with fresh water and then dry them. However, getting these dry inside can take time. Turning it onto the left and right works wonders.
The zips of the neoprene suits should be creamed with candle wax every now and then, as this extends the service life and makes it easier to close and open.
Theoretically, women wetsuits can also be cleaned in a washing machine, but you must ensure that you select a gentle program, such as a wool program. The temperature should not be higher than 30°C. Neoprene should never be spun or dried in a tumble dryer.
Here is our List of the best top 10 Women wetsuits 2021 in 3-5mm
ZCCO Damen Women Wetsuit 3mm
- MATERIAL: made of ultra stretch neoprene 3mm thick
- ZIPPERS: four small zipper at the arms & legs to make it take off or put on easily comparing to other wet suit.
- WATERSTOP SEAL: smooth skin neoprene inner at the collar, arm and legs to stick your skin tightly & make sure that much less water come inside
- ANTI-ABRASION KNEE PAD: offer better protection for your knee
Pandawoods Neoprene Women Wetsuit 3 mm
- Seac Sense is the perfect, ultra-comfortable overall for practicing water sports in warm waters (20 ° C – 30 ° C).
- This long suit is made of super elastic 3mm neoprene and has a mesh skin insert on the front and cuffs on the neck and arms made of smooth skin neoprene for a water-stopping effect.
- Ideal not only for snorkeling and diving, but also for all other water sports (surfing, windsurfing, water skiing, stand-up paddling, etc.).
- The Seac Sense Long Overall is easy to put on thanks to the long, neoprene-lined back zip.
- The women’s model is available from XS to XXL
Pandawoods 3mm Women Neoprene Wetsuit
- For the perfect fit, we recommend you to refer to seller’s size chart on the left to choose the fittest size for yourself. Keep You Warm: 3mm women wetsuit made of premium eco-friendly and high-elastic SCR neoprene + imported nylon has a remarkable heat preservation and long life span, ideal for 70–77℉.
- Heavy-duty metal back zipper effectively prevents 3mm neoprene full wetsuit turning unzipped. The inner neoprene cloth behind the zipper can largely lessen water penetration, avoid pinching your delicate skin and prevent flushing. The extra-long back zipper strap is convenient for your donning and doffing.
- Comfortable and Functional: pandawoods wetsuit designed with Flat-lock seams for a smooth interior and exterior surface to ensure your maximum comfort and durability. Specifically perfect for diving, surfing, snorkeling, paddle boarding, kayaking, canoeing and other water sports or outdoor activities.
- Protect Yourself in Water: The scuba diving wetsuit with full coverage design effectively protects yourself from the direct sun ray and keeps you away from the risks of sea lice, jellyfish, coral reef and other sharp objects, allowing you to enjoy diving like a fish.
- 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. You can contact us if you have any problem.
3mm Women Wetsuit Ravani
- “LOCK WATER RING”DESIGN: Smooth skin cuff will increase the friction on the cuff,so the already heated water will be locked and won’t come out, Enhanced warmth capacity as well as in water movement time.
- OTTMAN KNEE PAD: Ottoman knee pad has so many raised threads on the fabric surface,so no matter you got pound from waves or hit from rocks, they will absorb and decompose the damage, protect you avoid hurt! Extra thickness of knee pad will reduce the damage of knee, make you more enjoy the time in water
- ELASTIC NEOPRENE: SCR neoprene is the best neoprene for wetsuit,it has a rubber in the middle of neoprene which can provide extra buoyancy for you to surf or swim easily,High elasticity provides “close to skin” but not tight experience.It also protects you from sunburn hit or damage from marine life.
- TIPS for FIRST USE: 1) For some surfers,the sufing suit will make the feel contracted,this is because long sleeve wetsuit will provide all-around protection and warm for your body, You will feel comfortable after several times use. 2) when you get our wetsuit, maybe you will smell the pungent smell. But please don’t worry that this odor is not harmful to you, cause we are using environmental protection material, All you have to do is hang it out in the open air,then will disappear.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: No matter what problem you met for the product,our After-sales team will stand behind our product and provide 1 year product quality warranty once we got your message from email or buyer message.Best service and product are our principle
Hevto Women Neoprene wetsuit 3mm
- Environment-Friendly & High-Quality Material: Neoprene SBR + Nylon-2 Layers(Surface/Lining). Back zipper closure. 3MM thickness, full wetsuit, long sleeve.
- The women wetsuit has a specially lengthen nylon belt to ensure you are easy to put on and take off the wetsuit even though the zipper is on the back
- Flexible fabrics give you free and comfortable wearing feeling. Stretch arms and legs without constraint. Hevto wetsuit will be your best friend in the water, not your biggest obstacle.
- 3MM full wetsuit meets basic warmth requirements in general water area (50℉- 67℉) . Both high-quality fabrics and flat lock stitching contribute to increase the warmth performance of wetsuit.
- If you don’t like too rich colors, so this female wetsuit will work for you. Its main color is black, and draw the outline of dark gray “X” on the chest. Stretch fabrics fit your figure perfectly and emphasize the female silhouette You’ll never regret to get it.
Cressi Morea Women Wetsuit 3mm
- The Morea is a one-piece women wetsuit made in 3mm Premium Quality Neoprene ideal for any kind of water sport, such as snorkeling, surfing, diving, and paddle boarding.
- The arms and legs are in Ultraspan Neoprene to ensure free movements and ease donning, while the chest is in rubberized neoprene to ensure warmth.
- The dorsal YKK zipper is equipped with an Aquastop flap to reduce water leaks. The ankle and wrist finishes are completed using Overlock cuffs.
- The anatomical cuts make this wetsuit adaptable at different shapes of bodies. The knees feature a protection against bumps and scratches.
SCUBAPRO Defintion 3.0 Women wetsuit
- CE certified a Class D dive suit: rated for water temperatures above 72ºF/22ºC.
- Made from X-Foam neoprene, the only “green” neoprene that complies with P.A.H. regulations.
- Built with the Body Map System, an exclusive manufacturing method that uses special tailoring and material inserts to compensate for the stresses of the human body.
- Ultraspan chest panel and Stretchtec side panels work together to produce a highly flexible and snug fit.
- Infrared (IR) fleece interior lining reflects body heat for extra thermal insulation and is extremely soft against the skin.
Bare Evoke 5mm Full Women Wetsuit
- Suitable for water temperatures from 18 ° C to 25 ° C
- The warmest women’s wetsuit on the market
- Designed by BARE’s all female design team
- Innovative Celliant Infrared Technology increases circulation, body warmth and performance
- Seamless underarms for superior comfort and mobility
- Skin-to-skin double internal sealing zipper flap guards against water entry
Scubapro Definition Steamer 5mm Women Neoprene Wetsuit
- New Ultraspan panels in the chest area and stretch-tech material on the body, sides, arms and legs
- I-Safe loops on both sleeves ensure that your instruments can be securely attached
- Spinal padding to cushion the weight of the bottle
- Material composition: 90% neoprene, 10% nylon
- Suitable for water temperatures from 22 ° C to 26 ° C, CE certified as a class A diving suit
Scubapro Everflex Steamer 5/4mm women neoprene Wetsuit
- Made from 100 percent Everflex neoprene, an X-Foam formulation, for durability and better health.
- Multi-thickness panels deliver a superior combination of warmth and flexibility.
- Pure Design Concept uses fewer seams and panels for maximum flexibility.
- New nylon thread resists abrasion for longer suit life.
- Diagonal back zipper offers increased long-term durability and ease of use.
- Zippers on arms legs and in front of throat
Additional Women Neopren Wetsuit Equipment
Scubapro 6,5mm Definition Women Ice Vest
- Neoprene vest with front zip
- attached hood
- Material thickness 6.5mm
5mm Hood Neopren
- NO AIR IN THE HOOD: Thanks to the air release system, the Seac Tekno hood allows air to escape into the open air, thus avoiding annoying air bubbles in the hood.
- PERFECT FIT: The collar made of smooth neoprene lies close to the neck cuff of the diving suit and thus minimizes the ingress of water.
- 5mm THERMO-NEOPRENE: The Seac Tekno hood is made from 5mm ultra-flexible neoprene, which prevents the head from cooling down.
- EASY TO PUT ON: The Ultraflex neoprene of the Seac Tekno hood is extremely elastic and therefore very light and easy to put on with optimum wearing comfort.
- ESSENTIAL ACCESSORIES: The Seac Tekno diving hood fits perfectly with all diving suits, for women and men, and is available in 5 sizes.
Rash Vest or Rashguard Long Sleeve can be worn under the neoprene wetsuit for additional protection against the cold.
- Other Fibers
- Skin Cancer Foundation Recommended Product; UPF 50+ Ultraviolet Protection
- Perfect For Surfing, Swimming, Paddle Sports, Boating, And Beach Days
- Comfortable Yet Durable 6oz Polyester/Spandex Construction
- Minimal Seam Placement For Maximum Rash Protection
- Performance Fit: Form-Fitting Tight Layer Fits Like A Second Skin
- Many colors available
Cressi High Stretch Neopren Gloves
Gloves are only against the cold and not for touching anything underwater!
- Highly comfortable flatlock stitched gloves
- Five fingered gloves made from single lined high-stretch neoprene
- Suitable for many applications- surfing/bodyboarding to snorkelling and diving Ideal sports accessory for protecting your hands
This has been our equipment guide and the list of the top 10 best women wetsuits for 2021! We hope you enjoyed it and if so, please share the Article and leave us a comment.
If you don’t want to miss any of our next equipment guides, sign up for our free newsletter here.
You might also be interested in
Interested to join us as a Marine Life Conservation Volunteer?
Check it out here