Dry Snorkel use a one way Valve system, which is located on the bottom and lets you clear the water out much more easily than with any other snorkel.
If in rare situations, water does enter the snorkel, a simple puff of air is all you need to clear the water through the snorkel’s lower one-way valve. It saves you energy and is especially easy to clear for kids who have not such a big power in their lungs to push it out the top as on a Basic Simple Snorkel.
If water is inside your snorkel and you do exhale all the water will flow out on the bottom while you exhale.
Controversial Top dry valve and splash guard
Dry snorkel splash guards automatically closes when submerged, not allowing water to enter the Snorkel. Even with waves crashing over you, the splash-guard will prevent water from entering into the snorkel.
It is controversial because it is a factor for pendulum breathing. The chances are higher that the air inside the tube is not exchanged especially when high waves splash frequently over you or when doing yo yo snorkeling.
They might not work properly or not open all the way so your exhale Air doesn’t get exchanged all the way and replaced by fresh oxygenated air and you end up floating unconsciously.
See the explanation on main Snorkel page.
Most of the Snorkels are produced so that they go only on the left side of your Mask (head) and are not convertible to the right side. The reasons being that the Divers Regulator comes from the right side so they don’t mix it up.
Our recommendations of Dry Snorkels
Oceanic Ultra-Dry 2 Snorkel
- Patented Technology virtually eliminates water entry
- Oversized purge valve for easy clearing Quick-release swiveling snorkel keeper
- Drop away smooth bore flex mouthpiece
- Replaceable 100% liquid silicone mouthpiece
Cressi Foldable Snorkel
- Features a float mechanism which close instantly to prevent water from entering the snorkel whether accidentally or purposely submerged.
- The snorkel has a highly flexible tube that reduces jaw fatigue and folds compactly for storing in a BC pocket or travel pack.
- A wider elliptical bore shape increases air flow capacity for more comfortable breathing and a purge valve enables instant clearing when needed.
- Is made in Italy in 100% high quality silicone, a better material and longer lasting than plastic PVC.
SCUBAPRO Spectra Snorkel
- Large Bore Upper Tube with Dry Top Designe
- Contoured Tube Providing a Streamline Low Profile, Low Drag Design
- Mouthpiece & Flex Tube Provide Comfort
- Dry Top Closes-Off Breathing Tube when Submerge
- Quality One-Way Purge Valve with Deep Reservoir Below Mouthpiece
You might also be interested in different kinds of Snorkels:
Atomic SV2 Semi Dry Snorkel
- Semi-Dry top diffuses splashed water that would normally freely enter the snorkel top
- Streamlined snorkel design that clears easily and is comfortable to use
- Sleek profile makes it easy to stow or strap as a valuable addition to your dive bag
Mares Ergo Flex Snorkel
- Simple, Yet Functional Snorkel, Anatomical Design, Easy Clear Exhaust Valve
- Corrugated Tube and Mouthpiece High Quality Silicone
- Adjustable Snorkel Keeper, Great for Scuba and Snorkeling
- Hydrodynamic Contoured Tube Shape Reduces Drag
- Replaceable Mouthpiece Design
You could be also interested in:
This was our list of the Top Dry Snorkel in 2021! We hope you enjoyed it and if so, please share the article with your friends and family or on your social platforms and leave us a comment below with your favorite we would appreciate it a lot and you’d make the Oceans a little better! Thank you!
If you don’t want to miss any of our next Equipment guides you can sign up here for our free newsletter!
Interested to join us as a Marine Life Conservation Volunteer?
Check it out here
Another way to help us is with your donation or buy one of our merchandise items. All income from the Items sold goes to our Marine Life Conservation Projects.
Are you interested in Scuba Diving? Come Join us at Poseidon Dive Center and do a Dive Course or Join us for a FunDive as a certified Diver.